Darth Maul for a Day
How I turned into Darth Maul

On Halloween, 1999, I transformed into one of the villain characters from Star Wars, Episode One.  With the aid of a talented make-up artist, Tracy Alford, I began to initiate the steps that would transform me into Darth Maul. It was something I knew I wanted to do from the moment I saw the movie.

I began doing my research by purchasing a copy of MakeUp Artist magazine, Issue #19.  This special collectors issue contained an article on Paul Engelen.  Paul's major make-up task was creating the look for Darth Maul, portrayed by British performer Ray Park. Paul used cellephane covered with cellatape, then he drew the outline of the design using Reel Creations Tattoo color for the black areas, a water based Flame Aquacolor for the red and black tooth enamel for the teeth.  The horns were foam based cast from molds.  The contact lens were created by Richard Glass in London.

My journey began in Downtown Houston at a popular costume shop.  I purchased:

My final purchase was the Darth Maul costume for adults. It contained the robe, pants and a plastic mask.  Now that I have most of the essential make-up appliances, it was time for me to get the contact lens.  I made an appointment with  an Optometrist. I  received a full eye exam, as well as, trying on a pair of Wild Eyes contact lens for fit and comfort. I purchased the Wild Fire contact lens and black leather gloves at Wal-Mart.

I already owned a Darth Maul rubber mask and his double bladed light saber, so I know had everything I needed to make the transformation.

In order to get the outline design pattern and the horns, I  had to cut up my Darth Maul rubber mask.  I took a modeling razor blade and I cut out each horn and the black areas of the mask. I was left with 8 horns, a template for the top of the head and face and a template for the chin.  The next step was to lose the hair.

On October 30, 1999 I entered into the hair salon with one thing on my mind, shaving my head.  It was not something new to me since I had served as a U.S. Marine for 4 years. This was the first time that I volunteered to shave my head.  After several minutes in the chair, I was bald.

Once I returned home, I polished my black leather combat boots and began to prepare my costume.  The first thing I did was to cut off the "fake" boots that were attached to the Darth Maul costume.  I placed a chair in the bathroom, Tracy laid out the make-up and brushes on the counter; and I was ready to become Darth Maul.

I put on the costume pants and my combat boots.  I then place two rubber bands at the top of each boot and rolled the bottom of the pants under the rubber bands.  This keeps the end of the pants "bloused" at the top of the boots. It also makes the boots look longer at the top.  I then put in the Wild Fire soft contact lenses. Now I was ready for the make-up.

I sat in chair and Tracy began to apply the red greasepaint to the front of my head and face. She then placed the rubber mask template on my face. With this in place she was able to apply the black greasepaint to the rest of my head and neck areas.

Now that my face was only red and black, the outline work begins.  With the rubber mask template still in place, she painted in every line on all the areas of my face. Tracy also did the same for the chin template.  The process, although it seams easy, took an hour to apply.

After Tracy finished this task she slowly removed the head and face template.  The rubber mask template removed some of the red paint; so more red greasepaint had to be applied to these areas.  Tracy did a wonderful job applying the outline pattern but there was still more detail work needed to straightened out the lines of the patterns.  Together we completed the detail work and smoothed out the patterns.

Once the make-up application were completed, I needed to put the horns on my head in the proper spots. Using reference material I used the spirit gum to glue the horns to my head. This process took almost an hour.  I had difficulty in keeping some of the horns glued down because the greasepaint was making my skin more oily.  Finally, Tracy removed some of the paint from my head where the horns were to be placed and glued them into position.

Finally after the horns where in place I applied more paint to touch up the areas around the horns. I then grabbed my black T-shirt and cut it down the front with a pair of scissors. I put the shirt on backwards so the neck of the shirt would be high and Tracy used a close pin to fasten the back of the shirt. By cutting the shirt down the front, I was able to put the shirt on without pulling it over my head. The whole make-up and application process took over 3 hours.

I tucked the shirt in my pants, put on my robe and black leather gloves.  Then I picked up my light saber.  I was ready to trick-or-treat.  I had become Darth Maul.

The whole experience of becoming Darth Maul was great and I plan to do it again. However, getting the make-up off was a pain.  It took me an hour an 1/2, in the shower to get everything off, and finger nail polish remover to get the spirit gum off of my head. I could not have done it without the support, patience and talent of make-up artist Tracy Alford.  I will look into a better and faster way to remove the make-up before the next time I journey through the transformation of becoming Darth Maul.

LightwaveMunk


Home / About Us / Services / Articles / Email Us
All material presented on this web site has been created by the team at Slade Studios.